The Master in Fine Art Theater Directing programme is the first entirely practiced-based Masters programme of its kind in Ireland.
It was introduced following extensive consultation with the Irish theater community and is a direct response to the stated needs of the industry and of talented emerging artists. This innovative course is taught in the newly established The Lir – National Academy of Dramatic Art at Trinity College which is the professional training institution of the School of Creative Arts
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The MFA in theater directing at the Lir offered me a practical, rigorous and professional based approach to developing my voice as a theater director while at the same time supporting me as a student.
- One of the most influential parts of the program for me was the invaluable opportunity to do an assistant directing placement with ANU productions.
- The school provided me with the space to explore creatively and learn from the industries top theater directors, designers and technicians.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Candidates should have a good honors degree of upper second class or above, or equivalent qualification in a cognate area. A portfolio of work including a critical assessment of recently directed work is an essential part of the application process. Proven natural ability and prior experience as demonstrated at interview will also be considered.
• IELTS: Grade 6.5 overall
• TOEFL: 88 internet-based, 570 paper-based, 230 computer-based. The test taken here should be TOEFL IBT
• Pearson Test of English (Academic) – PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 to be eligible (with no section score below 59)
• Duolingo English Test: minimum overall score of 110/160, dated since January 2020
Special Entry Requirements