This MSc in Synthetic Chemistry is designed for Chemistry graduates who are interested in deepening their knowledge of synthetic chemistry with a view to pursuing a career in either the fine chemical or pharmaceutical industries.
There is a strong demand for these synthetic chemistry skills, e.g. nine of the top ten largest pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in the world have major facilities in Ireland, and seven of the ten top best-selling pharmaceutical products are made in Ireland.
Students will take 60 credits in taught modules focusing on areas such as the synthesis of organic compounds and drug-like substances, techniques for structure determination, and methods for drug discovery. In addition, there is a 30 credit research project and students will be able to choose research topics in relevant areas, including catalysis, carbohydrate chemistry and asymmetric synthesis. The UCD School of Chemistry has vibrant research in catalysis and the synthesis of biologically active compounds, and it has strong links with pharmaceutical and fine chemical companies in Ireland and globally.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The UCD School of Chemistry has vibrant research in catalysis and the synthesis of biologically active compounds, and it has strong links with pharmaceutical and fine chemical companies in Ireland and globally.
- Students choose a suite of modules from our graduate school offering, which cover a wide range of topics in drug discovery and the synthesis and characterisation of target molecules.
- The MSc in Synthetic Chemistry provides a basis for graduates to enter the chemical, pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical and materials industries.
- This course is also a route for some students into a PhD programme.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
This programme is intended for applicants with a Chemistry degree, or a degree with a significant component of Chemistry. An upper second class honors or international equivalent is required. Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
These are the minimum entry requirements additional criteria may be requested for some programmes
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
The MSc in Synthetic Chemistry provides a basis for graduates to enter the chemical, pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical and materials industries. Analytical services, environmental protection, and primary and secondary school teaching present other possible opportunities. This course is also a route for some students into a PhD programme.