The course includes core physics subjects as well as specialized courses in astronomical instrumentation, spectroscopy, the solar system, stellar evolution, supernovae, galaxies, interstellar matter, black holes and cosmology.
Half of the third-year laboratory class is devoted to learning computational data handling techniques relevant for astrophysicists and the wider world of big data. The School of Physics is equipped with an 11” optical telescope and a 5 cm solar telescope for undergraduate use in the Monck Observatory. Physics and Astrophysics at Trinity offers you the opportunity to study with world-leading experts in the School of Physics, with modules designed to provide you with a flexible qualification for employment across a range of astrophysics research and industrial settings.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
You may undertake your fourth year Capstone project at a research institute or university in the EU or further afield, provided you attain a sufficient standard in the third-year examinations. In recent years, students have worked at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in the United States and at the European Space Agency in Madrid. Information on the year abroad programme for second- or third-year students, and a list of partner universities.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Physics and Astrophysics at Trinity offers you the opportunity to study with world-leading experts in the School of Physics, with modules designed to provide you with a flexible qualification for employment across a range of astrophysics research and industrial settings.
- If you enjoy laboratory and computational work and have an interest in how fundamental physical theories explain how the universe took shape, then this may be the course for you.
- Astrophysics – the exploration of our solar system and the universe beyond – is still a major part of human endeavour in science.
- The Physics course includes topics in Astrophysics, Statistics, Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electricity, Acoustics and Optics, Nuclear Physics and Quantum Physics.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
The minimum matriculation requirements refer to the basic standard of application you must meet to be considered. Anything less than this will be unsuccessful outright however meeting the matriculation requirements does not guarantee admission. The standard matriculation requirements are pass grades in English, Mathematics, a language other than English, and a full set of valid subjects for your examination system.
• 3 subjects at grade 5 at Higher Level;
• 3 subjects at grade 4 at Standard Level, to include English, Mathematics and another language.
• Present six subjects at grade C or above on GCSE or Advanced Subsidiary GCE (AS) papers. Two of these subjects must be at grade C or above on Advanced GCE (A-Level) papers.
TOEFL: Internet based 90 (with a written score of 21).
IELTS: (Academic version) 6.5 (no individual band below 6). For Dental courses: IELTS (academic version) 7 (no individual band below 7). For Clinical speech and language studies: IELTS (academic version) 7 (no individual band below 7)
Pearson Test of English (Academic) – PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59).
Duolingo: Duolingo English Test: minimum overall score of 110/160, dated since January 2020
For Dental courses and Clinical speech and language studies: Duolingo English Test: minimum overall score of 120/160, dated since January 2020.
(Note: Trinity is accepting Duolingo English test on a temporary basis for 2020/21 entry).
Special Entry Requirements