The Grad Dip in Philosophy and Literature is designed to offer graduates of either philosophy or literature (English and other literature) the opportunity to study the many areas of overlap between the disciplines.
• Unique combination of philosophy and literature
• Close attention from dissertation supervisor
• Vibrant academic and social community
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Unique combination of philosophy and literature.
- Vibrant academic and social community.
- Close attention from dissertation supervisor.
- Others have gone into journalism, the civil service, arts management, secondary school teaching, and the corporate world.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
You will need:
• An undergraduate degree in either Philosophy or a Literature.
• If the undergraduate degree is in literature, you should have at least two courses in literary theory, each with a grade of at least B- (60%).
• An overall grade of B- (60%) in your undergraduate degree (to be confirmed by a transcript);
• Two academic letters of reference;
• A sample of philosophical or literary-theoretical writing, such as an undergraduate essay.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
It is very difficult to generalize about the career paths of our MA graduates. A small number continue into PhD programmes both at UCD and abroad. Others have gone into journalism, the civil service, arts management, secondary school teaching, and the corporate world.