You will develop your skills of critical analysis in both speech and writing, precision and clarity in your self-expression and a much more nuanced appreciation of central philosophical questions.
• School considered in the world’s top ten for “20th Century Continental Philosophy”
• Two streams to choose from: (i) General; (ii) Contemporary European.
• Students on General stream can take classes in contemporary European philosophy, analytic philosophy and ancient philosophy
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- School considered in the world’s top ten for “20th Century Continental Philosophy.”
- Philosophy graduates work in diverse fields including business, public-sector management, marketing and advertising, media and broadcasting, recruitment and human resources.
- Students on General stream can take classes in contemporary European philosophy, analytic philosophy and ancient philosophy.
- Graduates of UCD School of Philosophy have continued to have successful academic careers in Ireland, UK and the US.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
This programme is intended for students with a primary degree in Philosophy, or in another degree that has significant philosophical components; an upper second class honors, or international equivalent is required.
• Candidates with an upper second class honors in a postgraduate conversion course such as a Higher Diploma in Philosophy may be considered.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
Philosophy graduates work in diverse fields including business, public-sector management, marketing and advertising, media and broadcasting, recruitment and human resources.
Graduates of UCD School of Philosophy have continued to have successful academic careers in Ireland, UK and the US. Others are prominent playwrights, journalists, human-rights activists, broadcasters, film-makers and musicians.