On completion of the BSc Midwifery, you will be recommended to NMBI for registration as a Registered Midwife (NFQ Level 8)
The course is designed to meet all the requirements and standards for Midwifery Education (ABA 2005). A broad-based curriculum helps to produce critical, analytical and reflective practitioners capable of functioning in a variety of settings as midwives. Each year of the course has two components that consist of theoretical modules and midwifery practice modules.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
The School of Nursing and Midwifery at UCC participates in a number of international research and educational programmes which afford you the opportunity to undertake part of your BSc studies abroad. Currently we have links with Finland, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Netherlands, France, England, and the U.S. Study abroad opportunities in other countries is also a possibility. In Year 3,Midwifery students are encouraged to arrange an elective clinical placement of one week, to observe and participate in care in any maternity setting in the EU or any area in Ireland outside the provision of care in the local maternity placement.
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- A highly sought-after course, as evidenced by the consistently high points required for entry to the course.
- Offer opportunities to study abroad and have a large suite of postgraduate courses available to our graduates to facilitate further study needs.
- Offer you a wide variety of clinical placements across a number of university hospitals and community facilities, with the majority of clinical placements in Cork University Maternity Hospital.
- Excellent employment prospects on completion of the course
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
YEAR 1 ENTRY
- Example of high school qualifications that are considered for Year 1 entry are as follows:
A-Level, IB Diploma, US Diploma, SAT, ACT, AP, ILC, HKDSE, STPM, CBSE, CISCE, ATAR, CAPE and NCEA.
- If you have a different high school qualification you may have to apply for a foundation programme.
FOUNDATION YEAR ENTRY
- Students who do not meet entry requirements for Year 1 can apply for a foundation programme at most universities. Contact our counsellors for further details and advice on a suitable course for you.
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing email@example.com.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Medicine and Health: Nursing Studies. 6.5 Minimum individual sections 6.0
TOELF: College of Medicine and Health: Nursing Studies.
- TOEFL 90: Listening 20; Reading 19; Speaking 21; Writing 20
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Medicine and Health: Nursing Studies. 63 Minimum individual sections 59
Special Entry Requirements
The course aims to provide you with good midwifery practice sound clinical skills necessary for starting your professional career as a Registered Midwife. These skills will be further developed through clinical experience and further study at postgraduate and in-service levels. You will also develop skills in independent thinking, problem solving and analytical and clinical decision-making, as well as fundamental research utilisation and application skills. On graduation, you may seek employment as a Registered Midwife. Midwives are highly sought-after to work in other countries, enhancing work opportunities abroad, in particular wihtin the UK, Canada and Australia.