Mechanical Engineering is a subject concerned with the design and manufacture of parts and systems that make up the range of machinery and equipment you see around you, from a can opener to a jet aircraft.
Mechanical engineers design the tools and processes necessary to create all man-made products, and are often involved from conceiving of an idea right through to seeing it as a finished product ready for its commercial application. They design everything you think of as a device or machine. Devices used in engines, the components used in transportation, power conversion equipment, like the steam and wind turbines used in modern electric power plants, and processing equipment used in oil and gas rigs all come within the remit of the mechanical engineer. If you think you have or can develop the skills and knowledge to understand the requirements for designing a moving device or machine for the environment it will be used in as well as understand how it will best be manufactured, then you may make a good mechanical engineer. This degree programme is designed to provide graduates with the skills to face the challenge for newer, better, faster, more reliable, more versatile, longer-lasting and more environmentally friendly products and processes. These skills need also to be complemented by the managerial and personal skills needed to interact with teams on joint projects.
Learning about Mechanical Engineering will help you to develop your creative side, a part of your thinking that will enable you to design a new product or system and the analytical skills to make it a reality. You will also learn about the value of the teamwork skills that go into the successful production of most devices and processes used in today’s world. These are valuable skills that will be useful in other areas of your life also.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- As Mechanical Engineering is perhaps the most wide ranging of engineering disciplines, it offers diverse career opportunities.
- For students interested in pursuing further education, the PhD and MEngSc degrees are obtained through doing research work along with advanced study.
- Graduates go on to work in such areas as research, industrial design, project management, environmental protection, energy production, technical sales, process control, manufacturing, aeronautics.
- Research students specialise in an area of research, working with a high degree of independence.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Minimum Grade H5 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at O6/H7 Level in the Leaving Certificate, including Irish, English, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint), Agricultural Science or Computer Science) or Technology, and any two other subjects recognized for entry purposes.
Science and Engineering (No less than 5.5 in any Component)
IELTS: 6.5 Overall
Pearson (PTE): 61
Duolingo English Test (DET)**: 110
• Temporary measure for 2020 only in response to COVID-19
Special Entry Requirements
• Students must obtain a minimum of Grade H4 in the Higher Level Leaving Certificate paper in Mathematics or, alternatively places available (which may vary in number year to year) may be allocated to those candidates who have achieved the points requirement for the programme that year, who satisfy the general requirements for Matriculation in the College of Engineering and Informatics and who attain a Pass in the Engineering Maths Qualifying Examination. The places available will be allocated in strict order of merit based points attained in the Leaving Certificate. Due to capacity constraints, not all candidates who achieve a pass in the examination may receive an offer.
• A-Levels: A minimum of Grade C in Mathematics is required
As Mechanical Engineering is perhaps the most wide ranging of engineering disciplines, it offers diverse career opportunities. Graduates go on to work in such areas as research, industrial design, project management, environmental protection, energy production, technical sales, process control, manufacturing, aeronautics, and materials and product development. For students interested in pursuing further education, the PhD and MEngSc degrees are obtained through doing research work along with advanced study. Research students specialize in an area of research, working with a high degree of independence.
Work Placements: All students registering for an engineering degree at NUI Galway will be enrolled on an integrated five year programme; a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) (four years, Level 8) + a Master of Engineering (ME) (one year, Level 9). Upon successful completion of the five years of study, graduates will have the educational qualifications required for progression to Chartered Engineer. Students registering for an engineering degree at NUI Galway in 2019 will make a decision at the beginning of 3rd Year to either remain on the BE+ME pathway (five years) or exit with a BE (four years). Students on the BE+ME pathway will avail of advanced engineering modules, a substantial research and development project, and a work placement of eight months duration during the 4th Year. For students exiting with a BE, the work placement (eight months) will occur during 3rd Year. Read more about Engineering work placements.
Accreditation: All Engineering Degrees at NUI Galway are professionally accredited by the statutory professional body, Engineers Ireland. This “Accreditation” means that the degree has been assessed and approved to meet the educational requirements for professional Engineers.