The ME in Mechanical Engineering is a two-year professional engineering graduate degree.
Graduates of the programme will be eligible for the title of Chartered Engineer (CEng). This programme is aimed at graduate Mechanical Engineers seeking to obtain a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering. You will gain advanced theoretical, conceptual and practical knowledge in the application of Mechanical Engineering.
Emphasis is placed on the skills required to generate new knowledge through research. This is achieved through independent and project-based learning while working with UCD academics and researchers on contemporary research projects.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
2 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
The Professional Work Experience (PWE) module is incorporated into the two-year Masters of Engineering Programme and is designed to integrate a student’s academic and career interests with practical work experience for a 6-8 month period.
The module provides students with the perfect opportunity to gain increased experience and understanding of their chosen field. The practical skills acquired during this placement will give graduates a competitive advantage when applying for positions upon graduation.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- This is achieved through independent and project-based learning while working with UCD academics and researchers on contemporary research projects.
- Graduates from this programme will be eligible to become fully qualified professional engineers, capable of working anywhere in the world at an advanced technical level or as a professional engineering manager.
- Emphasis is placed on the skills required to generate new knowledge through research.
- Mechanical engineers are at the centre of every area of technology.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
• An honors undergraduate degree (NFQ level 8) with a minimum upper second class honors or international equivalence in a Mechanical Engineering programme.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
• Students meeting the programme’s academic entry requirements but not the English language requirements, may enter the programme upon successful completion of UCD’s Pre-Sessional or International Pre-Master’s Pathway programmes.
• These are the minimum entry requirements additional criteria may be requested for some programmes
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
In the year immediately after graduation, this programme boasts a 95% success rate for graduates seeking employment or progression to research education. Mechanical engineers are at the center of every area of technology.
Graduates from this programme will be eligible to become fully qualified professional engineers, capable of working anywhere in the world at an advanced technical level or as a professional engineering manager. In the recent past, UCD ME Mechanical Engineering graduates have progressed to careers in industries such as: aerospace industry (e.g. European Space Agency), automobile industry (e.g. Ferrari, Jaguar Land Rover, Ford, Denso), biomedical industry (e.g. Medtronic, Boston Scientific, Stryker), oil and gas (Cameron) and materials and manufacturing (Henkel, Kingspan).