In today’s world, where language skills are growing in importance, Italian is an exciting language to study. Not only will you enjoy learning Italian, you will also open up excellent career opportunities in many areas of business and society.
You will have the opportunity to spend a year studying in Italy, one of the world’s most beautiful and fascinating countries. Italian accepts both beginners and non-beginners. Opportunities exist for suitably qualified students to spend an extra year abroad at a university in Italy, and graduate with a BA (International). If you wish to reach the level of linguistic proficiency required by employers, we recommend that you opt for the four-year BA International degree. Alternatively, if you wish to study more than one language, with a year abroad, consider DN541 Modern Languages.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
3 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
We recommend that after second year, you complete an Erasmus year at an Italian university, including ones at: Cagliari, Macerata, Milan, Rome, Trento, Urbino.
Upon completion of your fourth year, you will then be awarded a BA International. Places may be limited and preference will be given to those with better results.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
€ 19,900 p.a.
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Language modules are taught in small groups and literature and culture modules are taught through lectures and tutorials.
- At the end of second year, convert your degree to a BA (Honours) International by spending a year at one of our partner universities in Italy.
- Assessment is through a combination of continuous assessment and end-of-semester exams.
- Popular Joint Major subject combinations include Spanish, Art History, French, English & German.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
YEAR 1 ENTRY
- Example of high school qualifications that are considered for Year 1 entry are as follows:
A-Level, IB Diploma, US Diploma, SAT, ACT, AP, ILC, HKDSE, STPM, CBSE, CISCE, ATAR, CAPE and NCEA.
- If you have a different high school qualification you may have to apply for a foundation programme.
FOUNDATION YEAR ENTRY
- Students who do not meet entry requirements for Year 1 can apply for a foundation programme at most universities. Contact our counsellors for further details and advice on a suitable course for you.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing centre closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110. An interview may be required in conjunction with this.
Special Entry Requirements
Studying Italian opens the door to graduate studies (MA or PhD, in Ireland or abroad) and many careers, including:
• Careers in organisations including the EU, UN and NGOs
• The Diplomatic Service
• Communications & Marketinh
• Hospitality & entertainment industries
• Teaching, publishing & journalism
• Translation and interpreting
• European Commission Administrator
• Project Officer (EU)
• Web Editor