The BSc International Field Geosciences (IFG) is a joint Bachelor of Science undergraduate degree that focuses on the documentation, interpretation and synthesis of critical geological issues in the field.
The degree rests upon a backbone of existing modules that are the foundation of current geology courses at UCC and the University of Montana, complemented by an emphasis on the development of field-based learning in an intercultural setting. The core curriculum is identical to that required for the existing BSc Geology at UCC. Upon successful completion of Year 1 Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences examinations, students will apply to undertake the BSc in International Field Geosciences.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
48 Months Full-time (4 Years)
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Year 3 of the course is spent in approved courses of study at the University of Montana. In year 4, you take approved geoscience modules to the value of 20 credits at the University of Potsdam.
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The International Field Geosciences (IFG) is a joint Bachelor of Science undergraduate degree with University of Montana
- IFG curriculum is identical to the BSc Geology except for year 3 which is spent studying at the University of Montana"
- The degree focuses on documentation, interpretation and synthesis of critical geological issues in the field
- Students who undertake this course will spend their third academic year at the University of Montana, where they will take a number of field-orientated courses set in the Rocky Mountains and western United States.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
- Leaving Certificate:
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H4 in one subject, minimum grade H5 in one subject and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects.
Mathematics: O6/H7 or H4*
Lab Science: O6/H7 or H4*
* If the H4 is in Maths, Applied Maths or Computer Science an 06/H7 in a Lab Science subject is also required.
The following are considered Lab Science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry and Agricultural Science.
- A-Levels: B B C
- IB: 31
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing email@example.com.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 6.0 Minimum individual sections 5.5.
TOEFL: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture).
- TOEFL 80: Listening 17; Reading 18; Speaking 20; Writing 17
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 59 Minimum individual sections 5
Special Entry Requirements
There is currently a global shortage of geosciences and geology graduates. In recent years, our graduates have gained employment in the area of environmental geology and have worked at home or abroad in diverse fields such as infrastructure and engineering projects, geotechnical site investigations, hydrogeology, landfill management and environmental impact and protection. Currently our graduates are in high demand and are being actively recruited by hydrocarbon and mineral exploration companies, guaranteeing unrivalled opportunities to work overseas.