If you are interested in a career in human resource management, trade unions or management consultancy, this MSc programme is for you.
You will examine the nature of work and explore employment relations and human resource management in changing national and international markets. The focus is on the people aspect of business and explores how the relationship between employers and employees can be managed to the best advantage of both parties.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Internship (up to 6 Months) incorporating an Applied Research Project. The internship for students completing an MSc (HRM) can be a general HR position, a position that requires that the student specialise in particular fields within HR such as Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, Compensation & Benefits, Payroll, EAP, Graduate Recruitment Programmes, HR Administration or other areas that involve the management of human resources. The internships are typically suited to students with limited professional experience. Whilst students will be supported by a Placement Officer, students may also self-source their own internship subject to the approval of the Placement Office. We will secure internship opportunities, but it is at the discretion of employers whether they shortlist and offer a position to applicants. In case a student cannot secure an internship, a research project must be completed.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Our students are employed nationally and internationally in HR specialist, specialist and intern positions at Alkermes, Beckman Coulter, Boston Scientific, Comfort Keepers, CPL Recruitment, Dunnes Stores, Forest Laboratories, Google, the HSE, Kerry Group, IBEC, Intel, The Irish Times, Matrix Recruitment and Medtronic.
- A number of graduates have continued their education to PhD level.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
• H2.1 grade business or related degree, or a H2.1 in the Higher Diploma in Business Studies, is required (or equivalent international qualification). Work Experience is also considered.
• A one-minute video outlining why you wish to study for an MSc HRM, what your career plans are and why we should select you for the programme (See instructions below).
• Curriculum Vitae.
• A written personal statement must be included with all applications.
• In addition, an interview may form part of the selection process for the programme.
• IELTS score of 6.5 if relevant.
CV, Personal Statement & Interview Guidelines are available at http://www.nuigalway.ie/career-development-centre/servicesforstudents/job/cv/
As part of your application to this Programme please create a one minute video of yourself answering the following three questions (This can be filmed using your mobile phone camera):
1. Why do I want to pursue the MSc HRM at NUI Galway?
2. Why should I be selected for the MSc HRM Programme?
3. What are my career aspirations?
Instructions for submitting the video as part of your application:
1. Create a URL for your video: by uploading your video to Youtube as an unlisted video – this means that only those with access to the URL generated will be able to view the video.
2. Share the URL of your video: by copying and pasting the link into a word document. Submit this document to the NUI Galway Application system as part of your application (note: please ensure the URL link is valid and the video plays when clicked/pasted into a browser).
Arts/Business/Law (No less than 5.5 in any Component)
IELTS: 6.5 Overall
Pearson (PTE): 61
Duolingo English Test (DET)**: 110
• Temporary measure for 2020 only in response to COVID-19
Special Entry Requirements
Our students are employed nationally and internationally in HR specialist, specialist and intern positions at Alkermes, Beckman Coulter, Boston Scientific, Comfort Keepers, CPL Recruitment, Dunnes Stores, Forest Laboratories, Google, the HSE, Kerry Group, IBEC, Intel, The Irish Times, Matrix Recruitment and Medtronic. A number of graduates have continued their education to PhD level.
The MSc (Human Resource Management) is approved by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) for accreditation at the advanced level. Students on this programme can achieve Associate Membership of CIPD. After graduation, as they build professional experience, they can progress through the professional stages of CIPD membership from Chartered Member to Chartered Fellow. CareerWise Recruitment’s award will be presented annually to the MSc Student on the basis of their Research Project (Dissertation) mark and nominated on the recommendation of the Head of Discipline.