This course is the only undergraduate programme leading to a qualification in dietetics in the Republic of Ireland.
The degree is recognized by the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI), the British Dietetic Association (BDA) and The Nutrition Society. This four-year full-time course is run jointly by the Technological University Dublin, TU Dublin. Students are registered in both institutions and have access to all services across the two institutions. The course provides an integrated education on the science of nutrition and practice of dietetics and their application to human health and well-being.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The course provides an integrated education on the science of nutrition and practice of dietetics and their application to human health and well-being.
- This course is the only undergraduate programme leading to a qualification in dietetics in the Republic of Ireland. The degree is recognized by the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI), the British Dietetic Association (BDA) and The Nutrition Society.
- Nutrition is a branch of science devoted to the study of nutrients. It spans a broad-ranging area, overlapping with many other disciplines including biochemistry, physiology, cell biology, dietetics, medicine, communications and public health.
- The course will place considerable demands on students’ time, particularly when clinical placement is ongoing.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
The minimum matriculation requirements refer to the basic standard of application you must meet to be considered. Anything less than this will be unsuccessful outright, however meeting the matriculation requirements does not guarantee admission.
The standard matriculation requirements are pass grades in English, Mathematics, a language other than English, and a full set of valid subjects for your examination system.
TOEFL: Internet based 90 (with a written score of 21).
IELTS: (Academic version) 6.5 (no individual band below 6). For Dental courses: IELTS (academic version) 7 (no individual band below 7). For Clinical speech and language studies: IELTS (academic version) 7 (no individual band below 7)
Pearson Test of English (Academic) – PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59).
Duolingo: Duolingo English Test: minimum overall score of 110/160, dated since January 2020
For Dental courses and Clinical speech and language studies: Duolingo English Test: minimum overall score of 120/160, dated since January 2020.
(Note: Trinity is accepting Duolingo English test on a temporary basis for 2020/21 entry).
Special Entry Requirements
• This is a joint course between Trinity and the Technological University of Dublin, TU Dublin. For full details of admission requirements contact the TU Dublin. Students are required to undergo Garda vetting and health screening before clinical placements can proceed.
• Leaving Certificate: O4/H7 Mathematics; O6/H7 English or Irish
• Other Grade Requirements: At least H4 in Chemistry
• Students are required to undergo Garda vetting and health screening before clinical placements can proceed.
When you graduate, you will be well placed to find work as a dietitian in a hospital or in the community. You will also be qualified to work in a food company or in clinical nutrition product sales and marketing. Some of our graduates have also chosen academic careers in research or education.