The ME in Engineering with Business offers a unique opportunity for engineering students to complement their technical expertise with a deep understanding of the business and management aspects of engineering practice such as operations, human resources, marketing and strategy.
As a result graduates will develop a distinctively cross disciplinary perspective, which is essential to a successful career in business. If you have a mechanical, civil, electrical or electronics background and you plan to practice engineering in a business context, then the ME (Engineering with Business) is an excellent choice for you.
• This programme is delivered in conjunction with the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Ireland’s leading business school.
• This programme was voted GradIreland Engineering Postgraduate Course of the Year 2015 and is the only business-oriented masters programme accredited by Engineers Ireland for Chartered Engineering Status.
• On this programme you will be able to build on your core technical skills, while also gaining a unique set of competencies in business and technology management. As a result you will develop a cross disciplinary perspective which is essential to a successful career in business.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
2 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
A six month work placement where student’s technical and business knowledge can be applied and developed in a dynamic real-world setting. These placements are designed to expose students to all aspects of a technology business, while allowing them to develop their personal and personal and professional skills. The placement is followed by a four month Master’s research project, including research methods training. There is the potential for the project to be a follow-on to the work placement, allowing an ongoing in-depth study of the industry and the organisation.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- This programme is delivered in conjunction with the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Ireland's leading business school.
- As a result you will develop a cross disciplinary perspective which is essential to a successful career in business.
- This programme was voted GradIreland Engineering Postgraduate Course of the Year 2015 and is the only business-oriented masters programme accredited by Engineers Ireland for Chartered Engineering Status.
- On this programme you will be able to build on your core technical skills, while also gaining a unique set of competencies in business and technology management.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
• An honors undergraduate degree (NFQ level 8) with first class honors or international equivalence in a Mechanical, Civil, Electrical or Electronic Engineering programme is required.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 7.0 (no band less than 6.5 in each element), or equivalent.
• These are the minimum entry requirements additional criteria may be requested for some programmes.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
The ME in Engineering with Business is designed to produce fully qualified engineers who have a particular interest in and understanding of the business context within which engineers usually operate. It was conceived to address the perceived lack of ‘industry-ready’ engineers coming out of third-level education. Career opportunities are very broad as the ME degree positions the student not as a narrow technical specialist but as a ‘T-shaped’ individual, combining specialist skills with a broad understanding of the business environment. In addition to careers within their technical specializations graduates can consider careers in commercial roles, management consulting, the financial sector or IT. Previous employers of alumni include: Accenture, Abbvie, Boston Scientific, Deloitte, Intel, Jaguar UK, MSD Carlow, PJ Walls, PM Group, RPS Consulting, and SAP.