Engineering is a wide area, covering such fields as civil, mechanics, electronics and computer technology.
This course offers you the option of studying engineering in a general way for a year before going on to specialize in your chosen field in year two. It has been designed to help you make your choice about what professional engineering qualification you wish to study for by giving you a year to study the basic concepts and fundamentals of engineering. Therefore, it will help you to make an informed choice about what you wish to specialize in by enabling you to find out where your aptitude and interests lie. Undenominated Engineering will always stand to students as a foundation course. On successful completion of their first year exams, they will be able to transfer to the second year of one of the programmes listed under Course Outline.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Depending on students' choice of engineering discipline, there is a wide range of career opportunities for engineers, in industry, universities, hospitals, medical institutes, government regulatory agencies, research, software companies, financial services, and much more.
- This work experience programme gives students an opportunity to work on projects relevant to their study and significantly improves their chances of obtaining employment after graduation.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Minimum Grade H5 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at O6/H7 Level in the Leaving Certificate, including Irish, English, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint), Agricultural Science or Computer Science) or Technology, and any two other subjects recognized for entry purposes.
Science and Engineering (No less than 5.5 in any Component)
IELTS: 6.5 Overall
Pearson (PTE): 61
Duolingo English Test (DET)**: 110
• Temporary measure for 2020 only in response to COVID-19
Special Entry Requirements
• Students must obtain a minimum of Grade H4 in the Higher Level Leaving Certificate paper in Mathematics or, alternatively places available (which may vary in number year to year) may be allocated to those candidates who have achieved the points requirement for the programme that year, who satisfy the general requirements for Matriculation in the College of Engineering and Informatics and who attain a Pass in the Engineering Maths Qualifying Examination. The places available will be allocated in strict order of merit based points attained in the Leaving Certificate. Due to capacity constraints, not all candidates who achieve a pass in the examination may receive an offer.
• A-levels: A minimum of Grade C in A-level Mathematics is required.
Depending on students’ choice of engineering discipline, there is a wide range of career opportunities for engineers, in industry, universities, hospitals, medical institutes, government regulatory agencies, research, software companies, financial services, and much more.
Work Placements: As part of this four-year course, students will undertake an eight month (January – August) off-campus work placement in an industrial setting following completion of their third year of study. In the event that no external placement is available, students will be given projects on campus. This work experience programme gives students an opportunity to work on projects relevant to their study and significantly improves their chances of obtaining employment after graduation. Read more about Engineering work placements.
Accreditation: All Engineering Degrees at NUI Galway are professionally accredited by the statutory professional body, Engineers Ireland. This “Accreditation” means that the degree has been assessed and approved to meet the educational requirements for professional Engineers.