Electronics and Computing Engineering is a course that aims to integrate two separate engineering fields to meet the joint demands made by the electronics and computer industries in today's world.
This programme combines coursework in different aspects of both fields over four years, with an emphasis on the design of computing systems. Electronics and computers, and their joint applications, are playing an ever-increasing role in our lives as Information Communications Technology (ICT), with everything from consumer goods to space shuttles using electronic hardware (circuits) and computer software integrated together. The increased use of ICT in every aspect of our lives ensures the continued relevance of this area of engineering. Companies who design in tegrated electronics and computer systems require engineers who possess the software skills to complement traditional electronic hardware skills. The Electronic and Computing Engineering degree programme has been developed in response to these industry demands to develop students’ hardware and software engineering skills in an integrated way and the analytical powers to apply them jointly. Graduates of this course are ideally placed to pursue their specialism in ICT, which has wide applicability both nationally, with many indigenous technology companies and the multinational sector, and internationally. With the exponential development of ICT technologies worldwide, graduates will be at the forefront of people being employed in this area.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Completing the NUI Galway/Engineers Ireland-accredited BE degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering offers a passport to national and international career opportunities in the wide and diverse range of industries.
- ICT expertise offers you the prospect of doing research or working in industry in these interesting, exciting and challenging areas.
- This includes such areas as electronic system design, medical systems, healthcare, networking and distributed computing, telecommunications, automotive electronics.
- Graduates of this course are ideally placed to pursue their specialism in ICT, which has wide applicability both nationally, with many indigenous technology companies and the multinational sector, and internationally.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Minimum Grade H5 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at O6/H7 Level in the Leaving Certificate, including Irish, English, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint), Agricultural Science or Computer Science) or Technology, and any two other subjects recognized for entry purposes.
Science and Engineering (No less than 5.5 in any Component)
IELTS: 6.5 Overall
Pearson (PTE): 61
Duolingo English Test (DET)**: 110
• Temporary measure for 2020 only in response to COVID-19
Special Entry Requirements
• Students must obtain a minimum of Grade H4 in the Higher Level Leaving Certificate paper in Mathematics or, or, alternatively places available (which may vary in number year to year) may be allocated to those candidates who have achieved the points requirement for the programme that year, who satisfy the general requirements for Matriculation in the College of Engineering and Informatics and who attain a Pass in the Engineering Maths Qualifying Examination. The places available will be allocated in strict order of merit based points attained in the Leaving Certificate. Due to capacity constraints, not all candidates who achieve a pass in the examination may receive an offer.
• A-Levels: A minimum of Grade C in Mathematics is required
Completing the NUI Galway/Engineers Ireland-accredited BE degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering offers a passport to national and international career opportunities in the wide and diverse range of industries, utilities and other organisations that use electronic and computer engineering expertise. This includes such areas as electronic system design, medical systems, healthcare, networking and distributed computing, telecommunications, automotive electronics, industrial automation, consumer electronics, broadcasting, management information systems and energy management systems. ICT expertise offers you the prospect of doing research or working in industry in these interesting, exciting and challenging areas.
Work Placements: All students registering for an engineering degree at NUI Galway will be enrolled on an integrated five year programme; a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) (four years, Level 8) + a Master of Engineering (ME) (one year, Level 9). Upon successful completion of the five years of study, graduates will have the educational qualifications required for progression to Chartered Engineer. Students registering for an engineering degree at NUI Galway in 2019 will make a decision at the beginning of 3rd Year to either remain on the BE+ME pathway (five years) or exit with a BE (four years). Students on the BE+ME pathway will avail of advanced engineering modules, a substantial research and development project, and a work placement of eight months duration during the 4th Year. For students exiting with a BE, the work placement (eight months) will occur during 3rd Year. Read more about Engineering work placements.
Accreditation: All Engineering Degrees at NUI Galway are professionally accredited by the statutory professional body, Engineers Ireland. This “Accreditation” means that the degree has been assessed and approved to meet the educational requirements for professional Engineers.