The Higher Diploma in Economics is designed for students who wish to undertake further postgraduate study such as the taught Masters but whose undergraduate degree does not reach the required standard in economics.
• One year full-time or two years part-time
• Stand-alone, internationally recognized qualification
• Conversion course from another discipline to economics
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The Higher Diploma in Economics is aimed at students willing to study economics at Master level but with no prior background in the subject.
- Stand-alone, internationally recognised qualification.
- It equips students with knowledge of the fundamentals of economic theory as well as knowledge of key issues in some sub-fields of economics.
- Conversion course from another discipline to economics.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree with some mathematical and statistical content and/or should be confident in their ability to successfully complete the undergraduate Economics modules which make up this programme.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements