The BSc Ecology and Environmental Biology degree is the only one of its kind in Ireland. The course was established in response to the increasing awareness of environmental and wildlife issues.
It is the study of the interactions between animals, plants and microbes and their environment. It includes the study of how individual organisms interact in communities and how communities interact with the surrounding ecosystem.
This degree addresses such questions as: what controls animal and plant distribution, abundance and biodiversity? How do energy and nutrients move around ecosystems? How do species interact with each other? It also examines the biology of various habitats from marine and freshwater to terrestrial habitats and the soil. It uses the understanding of basic ecological principles and concepts to predict and manage environmental change caused by the human impact on natural ecosystems.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
48 Months Full-time (4 Years)
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
The School of BEES operates an exchange system mainly with North American universities that allows students to substitute a year abroad for Year 3 in UCC.
A work-experience module is also available to students in Year 4, enabling you to spend 6-10 weeks in a structured working environment, where you will be evaluated both on your contribution to the placement institution and by a report on your experience.
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Ecology and Environmental Biology is the only degree of its kind in Ireland and was established in response to increasing awareness of environmental and wildlife issues.
- You will possess field skills and theoretical knowledge required for ecological work such as environmental and pollution monitoring, toxicity testing, impact assessment, and nature conservation and management.
- A degree in Ecology and Environmental Biology provides you with a sound scientific knowledge and experience in a wide range of scientific techniques relevant to addressing current environmental issues.
- You will learn laboratory techniques relevant to other biological fields including biochemistry, biotechnology, environmental sciences, aquaculture, fisheries and zoology.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
2 letters of recommendation
A copy of your passport
Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
- Leaving Certificate:
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H4 in one subject, minimum grade H5 in one subject and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects.
Mathematics: O6/H7 or H4*
Lab Science: O6/H7 or H4*
Note: H4 in either A Lab Science subject, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics or Computer Science
* If the H4 is in Maths, Applied Maths or Computer Science an 06/H7 in a Lab Science subject is also required.
The following are considered Lab Science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry and Agricultural Science.
- A-Levels: B B C
- IB: 31
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 6.0 Minimum individual sections 5.5.
TOELF: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture).
- TOEFL 80: Listening 17; Reading 18; Speaking 20; Writing 17
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 59 Minimum individual sections 5
Special Entry Requirements
A degree in Ecology and Environmental Biology allows you to work in many different fields in Ireland and abroad such as:
• research in universities or industry
• research in government agencies such as OPW, EPA, ERU, Forestry, Fisheries
• teaching at second and third level
• administration in civil service, county councils or industry
• environmental scientists in industry, agriculture, aquaculture and fisheries and government
• management conservation working in habitat management, nature reserves, landscape planning, and fisheries