Dentistry provides a rewarding career in the provision of oral health care and is satisfying not only in terms of performing high-standard clinical procedures but also in terms of social interaction.
The dentist also fulfills an important function in educating patients regarding their oral care. Dentistry will appeal to students who have empathy for people, who are interested in their welfare and who like carrying out precision work with their hands. The University Dental School and Hospital encourage applications from mature students and from qualifying students with special educational backgrounds.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
5 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Dentistry is a highly satisfying and rewarding career.
- The course marries a high degree of technical knowledge with clinical expertise and patient interaction.
- Small-group teaching is provided which gives you the opportunity to share learning experiences with fellow students and experienced staff.
- Coupled with this is the potential to alter the patient’s lifestyle to enhance their oral health.
- As the course progresses, you undertake clinical care for your patients which is progressively more complex, challenging and rewarding.
- It affords you the opportunity to provide a high standard of clinical care for patients.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
- Leaving Certificate:
Other Language: O6/H7
Physics or Biology: H4
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H4 in two subjects and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects.
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing email@example.com.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Medicine and Health: All Programmes (Except Speech and Language Therapy and Nursing Studies). 6.5 Minimum individual sections 6.5
TOEFL: College of Medicine and Health: All Programmes (Except Speech and Language Therapy and Nursing Studies).
- TOEFL 90: Listening 23; Reading 21; Speaking 22; Writing 23
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Medicine and Health: All Programmes (Except Speech and Language Therapy and Nursing Studies). 63 Minimum individual sections 63
Special Entry Requirements
On graduating from this course, you will have developed an ability to listen to and engage with your patients. You will also be able to deliver clinical care for your patients to a high technical level. This clinical care is grounded in a deep theoretical knowledge base reinforced by key problem-solving skills. The undergraduate degree will serve as a solid foundation to pursue further career options on graduation. The NUI offers, through the University Dental School and Hospital, Cork, the postgraduate degrees of MDS, MDPH, DClinDent and PhD. Qualified dentists may enter general practice, may enter the community dental service, or may undertake further study with a view to specialising in a number of disciplines or becoming university academics.
Our dental graduates may work in EU countries, Australia, Singapore or Canada.
• An additional instrument Bench Fee of €1500 applies to all third year students with the remaining balance to be paid at the start of fourth year in the amount of €1500, with the balance of €1000 to be paid at the start of fifth year. Full details are in the College Calendar
• Students entering through recruitment agencies, the IUMC (Irish Universities & Medical Schools Consortium) or through government sponsorship may be entitled to a concession on the quoted international fee.