The four-year BSc in Chemistry, Mathematics & Education leads directly to the one-year MSc in Mathematics and Science Education.
On completion of both degrees you are fully qualiﬁed to teach Chemistry and Mathematics to Higher Level Leaving Certiﬁcate Level and Science to Junior Certiﬁcate Level. If you’re interested in chemistry and mathematics, and think you might like to teach these subjects at post-primary level, then this course may be for you. It’s designed so that from the start, you study chemistry and mathematics, along with education, in an integrated manner. In third year, you’ll gain teaching experience by completing placements (which we ﬁnd for you) in a post-primary school and as a third-level tutor.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
5 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
€ 25,600 p.a.
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Graduates of the Medicinal Chemistry & Chemical Biology degree will be equipped with the skills to pursue a career in: Pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceuticals, Food technology companies, Cosmetic technology companies
- Graduates can also pursue a PhD in Ireland or abroad in areas such as chemistry, chemical biology, or medicinal chemistry.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
YEAR 1 ENTRY
- Example of high school qualifications that are considered for Year 1 entry are as follows:
A-Level, IB Diploma, US Diploma, SAT, ACT, AP, ILC, HKDSE, STPM, CBSE, CISCE, ATAR, CAPE and NCEA.
- If you have a different high school qualification you may have to apply for a foundation programme.
FOUNDATION YEAR ENTRY
- Students who do not meet entry requirements for Year 1 can apply for a foundation programme at most universities. Contact our counsellors for further details and advice on a suitable course for you.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing centre closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
We recommend that all students in Chemistry & Mathematics Education should have a minimum Grade H3 in Leaving Certificate Higher Level Mathematics, or equivalent.
On completion of the BSc, students have guaranteed entry to the MSc in Mathematics & Science Education, provided they have achieved a GPA of 3.08. This is equivalent to a 2.1 Honours.
Placements are integrated into this course from ﬁrst year. Care is taken to slowly introduce you to placements to enable you to build conﬁdence before teaching a class of pupils. During the last two years of the course, students are assigned year-long placements at two diﬀerent post-primary schools. These placements are designed so that students not only obtain teaching experience, but also gain a whole-of-school experience through participating in parent-teacher meetings, timetabling etc. The complete ﬁve-year course is fully accredited by the Teaching Council of Ireland.