Trains students in a specialized area of chemistry such as Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Energy and Sustainable Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or Nanotechnology.
• Individualized programmes can be selected from a large suite of modules.
• A high-level research project will add significant value and lead to a qualification suited for career advancement in the chemical industry.
• Over 4000 m2 of high specification, modern laboratories within the recently refurbished UCD Science Center.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The MSc in Chemistry through negotiated learning provides a basis for graduates to enter the chemical, pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical and materials industries.
- Over 4000 m2 of high specification, modern laboratories within the recently refurbished UCD Science Centre.
- A high-level research project will add significant value and lead to a qualification suited for career advancement in the chemical industry.
- Individualised programmes can be selected from a large suite of modules.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
• This programme is intended for applicants with an honors undergraduate Chemistry degree, or a degree with a significant component of chemistry (NFQ Level 8 or equivalent). An upper second class honors or international equivalent is required. However all applicants will be assessed on a case by case basis and relevant or extensive work experience will be taken into account, so that in certain exceptional cases an award at a lower level or a 2.2 classification may be considered.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent. Students meeting the programme’s academic entry requirements but not the English language requirements, may enter the programme upon successful completion of UCD’s Pre-Sessional or International Pre-Master’s Pathway programmes.
• These are the minimum entry requirements additional criteria may be requested for some programmes
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
The MSc in Chemistry through negotiated learning provides a basis for graduates to enter the chemical, pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical and materials industries.
Analytical services, environmental protection and primary and secondary school teaching present other possible opportunities. Furthermore, through judicious choice of modules within one particular sub-discipline of chemistry, the programme is an attractive route for some students into a PhD programme.