The MSc in Biotechnology is taught by leading academics in the UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science
and focuses on broadening your knowledge and understanding of the current technologies and processes in the biotechnology industry, including approaches being applied to further advance the discovery and design of new and highly innovative biotech and pharmaceutical products and technologies.
• Modules on food and environmental biotechnology,
• Industrially relevant expertise in facility design and bioprocess technology, regulatory affairs and clinical trials.
• Academic or industry lab project of significant benefit to previous programme graduates.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
12 Months (1 Year) Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- Modules on food and environmental biotechnology,
- Academic or industry lab project of significant benefit to previous programme graduates.
- Industrially relevant expertise in facility design and bioprocess technology, regulatory affairs and clinical trials.
- A key feature is the opportunity to carry out a project in industry which will allow graduates to develop connections with prospective employers, thereby enhancing chances of employment on graduation.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Candidates are expected to have an upper second class honors grade or international equivalent in a Biology or Chemistry primary degree. This includes a degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Physiology, Medicinal Chemistry or an equivalent qualification.
• Graduates with equivalent qualifications in related areas of science and technology or with proven relevant industrial experience will be considered for places.
• Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element), or equivalent.
• Students meeting the programme’s academic entry requirements but not the English language requirements, may enter the programme upon successful completion of UCD’s Pre-Sessional or International Pre-Master’s Pathway programmes.
• These are the minimum entry requirements additional criteria may be requested for some programmes
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing center closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110.
Special Entry Requirements
This advanced graduate degree in Biotechnology has been developed in consultation with employers and therefore is recognized and valued by them. A key feature is the opportunity to carry out a project in industry which will allow graduates to develop connections with prospective employers, thereby enhancing chances of employment on graduation. You will also have the opportunity to become part of a network of alumni in the field of Biotechnology.
Prospective employers include:
Abbott; Allergan; Amgen; Baxter Healthcare; Beckman Coulter; Biotrin International Ltd.; Boston Scientific; Elan Corporation; Eli Lilly and Co.; Celltech; Glaxo SmithKline; Icon Clinical Research; Johnson & Johnson Ltd.; Kerry Group Plc.; Merck Sharp & Dohme; Quintiles; Sandoz; Serology Ltd.