A biotechnologist takes an understanding of life science and applies it to the benefit of mankind. The BSc (Hons) Biotechnology will provide students with an excellent training in modern biotechnology,
including molecular biology, food biotechnology, immunology, protein science, bioinformatics and process engineering. Students will also be expected to complete a work placement and a final year research project.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
48 Months Full-time (4 Years)
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
The BSc Biotechnology incorporates a mandatory 5 month industrial placement at the end of Year 3.
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The BSc Biotechnology is the only degree outlet from CK402 that offers a placement.
- The BSc Biotechnology incorporates a mandatory 5 month industrial placement at the end of Year 3.
- The BSc Biotechnology offers an unique combination of modules from Microbiology, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Pharmacology and Process Engineering.
- The BSc Biotechnology is ideal for you if you have a broad interest in the application of life science.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
- Leaving Certificate:
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H4 in one subject, minimum grade H5 in one subject and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects.
Mathematics: O6/H7 or H4*
Lab Science: O6/H7 or H4*
Note: H4 in either A Lab Science subject, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics or Computer Science
* If the H4 is in Maths, Applied Maths or Computer Science an 06/H7 in a Lab Science subject is also required.
The following are considered Lab Science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry and Agricultural Science.
- A-Levels: B B C
- IB: 31
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 6.0 Minimum individual sections 5.5.
TOEFL: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture).
- TOEFL 80: Listening 17; Reading 18; Speaking 20; Writing 17
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 59 Minimum individual sections 5
Special Entry Requirements
The BSc Biotechnology is ideal for you if you have a broad interest in the application of life science. The BSc Biotechnology will also equip you with a skillset that is very popular with employers e.g. critical thinking, data analysis, the ability to communicate ideas and independent thinking. These transferrable skills are useful in a wide range of career fields, even outside of science.