BSc in Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences is the foundation year for different degree outlets in the School of Biological, Earth, and Environmental Sciences, BEES.
You will receive a solid grounding in the fundamental disciplines that support your choice of degree from Year 2 onwards.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
48 Months Full-time (4 Years)
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Study abroad: The School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Science operates an exchange system with North American and European universities which allows students to substitute a year abroad for Year 3 in UCC.
Work placement: A work-experience module is also available, in Year 4, enabling students to spend 6-10 weeks in a structured working environment, where they are evaluated both on their contribution to the placement institution and on a report of their experience.
Application Closing Date
Open for applications
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- This degree provides an essential grounding in the relevant science disciplines.
- The School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Science operates an exchange system with North American and European universities which allows students to substitute a year abroad for Year 3 in UCC.
- Our degree courses have a strong emphasis on practical components, including fieldwork and laboratory skills, which provide relevant hands-on experience.
- You will receive a solid grounding in the fundamental disciplines that support your choice of degree from Year 2 onwards.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
- Leaving Certificate:
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H4 in one subject, minimum grade H5 in one subject and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects.
Mathematics: O6/H7 or H4*
Lab Science: O6/H7 or H4*
Note: H4 in either A Lab Science subject, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics or Computer Science
* If the H4 is in Maths, Applied Maths or Computer Science an 06/H7 in a Lab Science subject is also required.
The following are considered Lab Science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry and Agricultural Science.
- A-Levels: B B C
- IB: 31
Duolingo English Test (DET): DET score of 120 or better
Please note: Applicants scoring DET 110 or 115 will be required to sit a UCC Language Centre Skills Check before receiving an offer. Applicants presenting with one of these two scores should contact the UG EU Admissions Office directly by emailing email@example.com.
UCC has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake.
IELTS: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 6.0 Minimum individual sections 5.5.
TOELF: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture).
- TOEFL 80: Listening 17; Reading 18; Speaking 20; Writing 17
Pearson PTE Academic: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science: All Programmes (Except Architecture). 59 Minimum individual sections 5