History is about the study and interpretation of past events and their significance for understanding ourselves and our contemporary world.
The BA in History is a single honors or denominated degree, which means that students take only History for second year and for the final year of the programme. In first year, students follow the BA (Omnibus) programme, combining History with two other subjects. You should choose these subjects carefully. Consider taking subjects that complement History, for example, a language, or a subject such as English, Classics or Archaeology, which will prove useful in providing you with reading sources, collating facts and developing a good writing style. In the second and final years of the programme, a more specialized focus on historical subjects is provided. A range of modules relating to Ireland, Europe, America and the wider world is provided, with most available in both Irish and English. Teaching is in a mixture of small groups, lecture classes and seminars. In final year, a research dissertation based on primary sources is required. Between second year and third year, students may elect to do a year abroad on the Erasmus programme.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
3 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- The BA in History is a qualification well suited to a range of career paths and an avenue to further training of a more vocational nature.
- The BA (History) is a unique programme that has been reimagined to offer students more choice and flexibility in their degree.
- Are you curious about how the modern world has come to be? Would you like to find out how past events have shaped our contemporary globalised world? If so, this is the programme for you.
- Students with a BA (History) gain skills which can be applied in careers in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors and in business, diplomacy, development and education.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses
Minimum entry requirements
Minimum Grade H5 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at O6/H7 Grades in the Leaving Certificate, including Irish, English, another language, and three other subjects recognized for entry purposes.
Arts/Business/Law (No less than 5.5 in any Component)
IELTS: 6.5 Overall
Pearson (PTE): 61
Duolingo English Test (DET)**: 110
• Temporary measure for 2020 only in response to COVID-19
Special Entry Requirements
The BA in History is a qualification well suited to a range of career paths and an avenue to further training of a more vocational nature. It provides an excellent foundation for careers in public administration, journalism, teaching and education, libraries, community work, heritage, management, industrial relations, the civil service and government, development agencies and various international organisations. For those considering an academic career in History, this programme provides particular advantages and attractions.