If you’re interested in Agricultural Science but are not yet certain of which area to specialise in, you can select the No Preference (NPF) option on your CAO form.
The UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science is the only academic institution in Ireland that delivers education and research on the complete food chain from initial on farm production through processing to final consumption by the consumer. The School supports the Agri-food industry in Ireland by educating students to become industry leaders and by conducting world class research.
What you need to know
Where is the course located?
What is the length of the course?
4 Years Full-time
When can I apply?
You can apply today
When does the course start?
There are opportunities to study abroad for one semester during third year, in universities in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the USA, among others.
Application Closing Date
Open for an application
Number of Places
Fees and Funding
Non-EU Tuition Fees
€ 25,600 p.a.
Living Costs per year
Features and Benefits
- BAgrSc graduates have an excellent record in obtaining challenging and fulﬁlling roles.
- You can also pursue a wide range of graduate studies by research or examination (Master’s and PhD) in areas such as: Environmental resource management, Humanitarian action, Rural development
- Careers in sectors such as food, agriculture, business and services include: Enterprise management, Technical service and consultancy Research
- Students interested in progressing to the Food Business with Chinese Studies degree must undertake three Chinese language modules by the end of year one.
How to Apply
Once you are ready to start your application, please click on APPLY NOW
As part of your application, you will be required to submit:
- Your academic history and transcripts (Actual and/or Predicted Grades)
- Proof of English proficiency (typically IELTS or TOEFL scores)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A copy of your passport
- Personal Statement
- Extra requests for certain courses•Leaving Certificate: Minimum grade of second-class honours, grade 1 (2.1) in ﬁrst Honours Bachelor’s degree (NFQ Level 8). The degree can be in any discipline.
Minimum entry requirements
YEAR 1 ENTRY
- Example of high school qualifications that are considered for Year 1 entry are as follows:
A-Level, IB Diploma, US Diploma, SAT, ACT, AP, ILC, HKDSE, STPM, CBSE, CISCE, ATAR, CAPE and NCEA.
- If you have a different high school qualification you may have to apply for a foundation programme.
FOUNDATION YEAR ENTRY
- Students who do not meet entry requirements for Year 1 can apply for a foundation programme at most universities. Contact our counsellors for further details and advice on a suitable course for you.
• IELTS: An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475+
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based TOEFL (Ibt) with a score of at least 20 in each section.
• Pearson English Language Text: Minimum of 63 and at least 59 for each item in the Communicative Skills section.
• Temporary measure for 2020 ONLY (Response to Covid 19): For students affected by testing centre closures due to COVID-19, UCD has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2020 intake. The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110. An interview may be required in conjunction with this.
Special Entry Requirements
BAgrSc graduates have an excellent record in obtaining challenging and fulﬁlling roles. Careers in sectors such as food, agriculture, business and services include:
• Enterprise management
• Technical service and consultancy
• Marketing and communications
• Primary production of quality food and fiber products.
PWE is an integral part of the degree and takes place in third year. Part, or all, of PWE can be taken abroad. PWE provides an opportunity for you to network, experience many diﬀerent roles and, in some instances, even secure a job prior to graduation.